2024-2025 Catalog 
    Jul 22, 2024  
2024-2025 Catalog

Financial Aid

Types of Aid

The following information is subject to change at any time, without notice, due to changes in Federal, State, or Veterans Administration regulations, or institutional policies. Please visit Financial Aid - Eastern Wyoming College - It’s A Great Decision for the most up-to-date information.

An important consideration for most students is funding a college education. This section provides information about the categories of aid available, how to apply for the various types of aid, and the criteria used in awarding and maintaining aid. The student and his/her family have the primary responsibility for financing post-secondary education. However, EWC participates in a wide variety of federal, state, private, and institutional programs designed to assist families with college-related expenses when their own resources are insufficient. These programs include grants and scholarships, employment programs, and low-interest loans. Financial aid packages are structured to meet the particular needs of each recipient and may vary according to financial resources available and the student’s enrollment level. Students must reapply each academic year for most types of aid.

Student financial aid at Eastern Wyoming College is administered by the Financial Aid Office. To be considered for the maximum amount of aid possible, all students should:

  1. Complete an EWC Application for Admission.
  2. Submit an official high school transcript or high school equivalency certificate (GED, HiSET or TASC), and official college transcripts. High school seniors are required to submit a sixth or seventh semester transcript to meet the March 15 priority deadline for EWC scholarships. Final official transcripts are required after high school graduation to receive federal aid disbursements.
  3. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at StudentAid.gov in addition to state and institutional aid applications. The Hathaway Need-Based Scholarship, Kickstart Wyoming’s Tomorrow Scholarship program, and all institutional scholarships require FAFSA information to determine eligibility.

To ensure receipt of the most beneficial aid package, students should apply for many types of aid from multiple sources, including:

  • Federal (Title IV)
    1. Grant Programs
      1. Federal Pell Grant - This is the foundation of the federal aid programs, to which aid from other federal and nonfederal sources may be added. The Federal Pell Grant is a need-based program for qualified undergraduate students. The federal government establishes the dollar limit for the Federal Pell Grant program each year.
      2. Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) - FSEOG is a limited-fund program awarded to Pell eligible undergraduate students with the greatest amount of financial need.
      3. Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant (IASG) - IASG provides money to college or career school students whose parent or guardian died as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2001.
      4. Children of Fallen Heroes Scholarship (CFHS) - Pell-eligible students whose parent or guardian died in the line of duty while serving as a public safety officer may be eligible to receive a maximum Pell Grant if the student was less than 24 years of age or enrolled at an institution of higher education at the time of his/her parent’s or guardian’s death.
    2. Federal Work-Study (FWS)
      This is a limited-fund, need-based employment program. Students may work up to 15 hours per week. Most positions are on-campus.
    3. Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loan
      Low-interest loans are available to students. Repayment of the principal is deferred until the borrower either completes the education program or ceases to be enrolled at least half time. There is a four-step process for students to accept Direct loans. See ewc.wy.edu/federal-direct-loans/ for details.
    4. Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)
      Parents may be able to borrow for a dependent student’s educational expenses. Repayment typically begins within 60 days for a parent borrower and a credit check is required. Parents apply for the PLUS online at StudentAid.gov.

Eastern Wyoming College does not participate in the Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grant (TEACH Grant).

For more information about Title IV Financial Aid programs, visit StudentAid.gov.

PLEASE NOTE: Only classes that apply to a student’s declared program of study or as an approved elective can be funded by federal financial aid. Classes not listed as requirements on a student’s degree audit/program evaluation will not be included in enrollment status for federal aid.

  • State
    1. Wyoming Hathaway Scholarship Program
    2. Kickstart Wyoming’s Tomorrow Scholarship Program
    3. Tuition and fees waiver for survivors or dependents of emergency responders
    4. Wyoming Overseas Combat Veterans tuition and fees waiver
  • Institutional
    1. Institutional Scholarships and Foundation Awards
    2. Activity Grants, Part-Time Student Grants, and Outreach Student Grants
    3. Institutional Employment
  • Student Employment
    Students are limited to working a maximum of 15 hours per week under the Institutional Employment or Federal Work-Study programs. A variety of positions are available. Information is available in the Financial Aid Office and online at ewc.wy.edu/work-study/. All students must complete a FAFSA each year to be considered for student employment options.
  • Military
    1. Under Title 38, U.S. Code
      1. Chapter 30 (Montgomery G.I. Bill)
      2. Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation)
      3. Chapter 32 (Post-Viet Nam Era)
      4. Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 G.I. Bill)
      5. Chapter 35 (Dependents Educational Assistance)
    2. Under Title 10, U.S. Code
      1. Chapter 1606 (Selected Reserve/National Guard Members)
    3. Federal Tuition Assistance
    4. Wyoming National Guard Educational Assistance Plan
    5. Surviving Spouse or Orphan Tuition Reimbursement Program

In accordance with Title 38 US Code 3679 subsection (e), this school adopts the following additional provisions for any students using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post 9/11 G.I. Bill (Ch. 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Ch. 31) benefits, while payment to the institution is pending from the VA. This school will not:

  • Prevent the students enrollment;
  • Assess a late penalty fee;
  • Require student secure alternative or additional funding;
  • Deny their access to any resources (access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution.

The College is approved for attendance by those who are eligible for educational benefits provided by the Veterans Administration. Veterans wishing to use their education benefits must contact the VA Certifying Official in the EWC Financial Aid Office. Information is also available on the EWC website.

Veteran students and families are also encouraged to apply for federal financial aid and scholarships.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs [VA]. More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at www.benefits.va.gov/gabill

Applying for Aid

Applying for Federal Aid

For complete information on federal aid programs, visit StudentAid.gov. Individuals who wish to be considered for federal aid must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at StudentAid.gov every year. The application is available in English or Spanish. EWC’s Federal School Code 003929 must be listed on the FAFSA to have results sent to EWC’s Financial Aid Office.

Students can complete the FAFSA as early as October 1 every year for the next academic year. Students, parents, and spouse (if filing separately) will need to consent to Federal Tax Information (FTI) download from the IRS directly into the FAFSA to receive aid other than unsubsidized loans starting in the 2024-2025 award year. EWC’s priority application date is March 15.

The Financial Aid Office will review the FAFSA results received directly from the federal processor and follow federal regulations in determining eligibility and awarding federal aid. Submitting all information requested by the Financial Aid Office quickly ensures timely processing of aid. Students will receive notification of aid eligibility. Processing time may take up to 30 days or more, depending on when application(s) are completed and/or all required documentation is received. Students whose family’s financial situation has recently changed because of death; separation or divorce; or loss of job or benefits, should contact the Financial Aid Office to discuss options for additional assistance. Special or Unusual Circumstances may apply.  If a student believes they have a special or unusual circumstance, they can complete a form found on the Financial Aid website. The student may be required to provide additional information to EWC’s Financial Aid Office to determine eligibility.  Additional information can be found at https://ewc.wy.edu/admissions-financial-aid/financial-aid/.

General Eligibility Requirements for Federal Aid

To be eligible to receive federal student aid, a student must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen;
  • Have a valid Social Security Number (unless from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau);
  • Have a high school diploma or a high school equivalency certificate (GED, HiSET or TASC);
  • Be enrolled as a regular student working toward a degree or certificate in an eligible program;
  • Not owe a refund on a federal grant or be in default on a federal student loan;
  • Have financial need (Federal Direct Unsubsidized and Federal Direct PLUS Loans are exempt from this requirement); and
  • Be making Satisfactory Academic Progress.

Verification of Federal Aid

An applicant may be required to provide documentation to verify or validate FAFSA application information. This process may be required if the application is selected for verification in the federal processing and edit systems; if the Financial Aid Office has reason to believe that any application information critical to the calculation of the Student Aid Index (SAI) is inaccurate; or if application information is in conflict with other information. If an application is selected for verification, the Financial Aid Office will notify the applicant. The notice will specify which items of information must be verified and will detail what documents and procedures are required for verification. The notice will also specify the time period the applicant has to provide the required documentation; failure to comply within the specified period will result in consequences which are also outlined in the notice. The time period granted to the applicant for completion of required documentation may vary with the complexity of the requirements and with the time remaining in the school term for which funding is sought.

If the verification documents reveal inaccuracies in the application, the student’s FAFSA will be corrected electronically for reprocessing. If incomplete or inadequate verification documents are submitted, the applicant is notified of deficiencies and instructed on how to correct them. Should review of an application for Title IV student aid indicate that the applicant may have engaged in fraud or other criminal misconduct in connection with his/her application, the Financial Aid Office must refer the student for investigation of all relevant information to the Office of the Inspector General of the United States Department of Education. Examples of such information include, but are not limited to: false claims of independent student status; false claims of citizenship; use of false identities; forgery of signatures or certificates; and false statements of income.

To review EWC’s verification process please visit the Financial Aid pages online at https://ewc.wy.edu/verification-information/.

Communication regarding awards and additional information needed to calculate student aid will be done through the student’s EWC email and the Financial Aid Self Service in the student’s MyEWC student portal.

Withdrawals and Return of Title IV Federal Aid

To maintain federal financial aid eligibility during the semester, a student is expected to attend class and complete required coursework for the full scheduled term. According to federal regulations, if a student officially withdraws from all classes, stops attending classes (unofficial withdrawal), receives all F grades, or otherwise does not successfully complete classes during a semester, the Financial Aid Office is required to determine the percentage of federal aid the student earned based on the percentage of time attended during the term. A student may be required to repay a portion of the federal aid they received, but did not earn for the semester. The date of a student’s official withdrawal or the last date of attendance or participation in an academically-related activity during the semester is used to calculate how much aid a student earned during a semester and how much unearned aid may need to be returned to the appropriate federal aid program. A student who completes one module course but does not successfully complete any full semester course may also be subject to Return of Title IV regulations. A student who never begins attendance in one or more classes may be subject to a recalculation of aid based on enrollment status. A student’s last date of attendance is reported to the Department of Education, loan servicers, and/or lenders, and subsequent loan disbursements may be canceled. Please note: EWC does not have a formal Leave of Absence policy.

The amount of assistance that a student earns is determined on a pro-rata basis by multiplying the percentage of the term attended by the Title IV aid received. That is, if a student completed 30 percent of the payment period, they earned 30 percent of the assistance s/he was originally scheduled to receive. Since aid is typically disbursed near the beginning of a semester, the student may be responsible for repaying unearned aid they have already received to the appropriate federal program. Once the student has completed more than 60 percent of the payment period, they are considered to have earned 100% of their federal assistance.

After the amount of Title IV aid to be returned is calculated, a determination of how much must be returned by the institution and how much must be returned by the student is made. Repayments are applied to the appropriate programs in this order:

  1. Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan
  2. Federal Direct Subsidized Loan
  3. Federal Direct PLUS Loan
  4. Federal Pell Grant
  5. Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant
  6. Other federal aid programs

If EWC is required to repay any portion of a federal education loan, the student or parent borrower is then responsible for repaying those funds to EWC. The student or parent borrower is responsible for the remainder of the loan in accordance with the terms of the Master Promissory Note. If the student is responsible for returning grant funds, the student must make arrangements with EWC and possibly also the Department of Education to return the funds. Any amount that the student has to return directly to the Department is considered a grant overpayment.

If a student receives a grant overpayment notification from the Financial Aid Office, s/he must repay those funds to EWC within 45 days of the notice. Failure to make the payment within that time frame results in the referral of the overpayment to the Department of Education for collection and the student’s subsequent inability to receive future federal assistance from EWC or any other post-secondary institution until the overpayment is resolved. Any funds returned by EWC on the student’s behalf must be repaid by the student to EWC prior to registering for subsequent terms. The requirements for returning Title IV program funds are separate from EWC’s refund policy. Therefore, students may also owe funds to EWC for unpaid institutional charges.

Students who withdraw prior to receiving federal aid may be eligible to receive a “post-withdrawal disbursement” of earned funds to help pay for remaining institutional charges. The Financial Aid Office notifies students of amounts owed and aid earned but not disbursed within thirty days of performing the refund calculation. EWC notifies students with post-withdrawal disbursements via a  mailed letter that they have 30 days to request the Title IV funds to use towards outstanding tuition, fees, room, and meal charges. Post-withdrawal loan eligibility requires a student’s permission (or parent’s, in the case of PLUS loans) to use toward outstanding tuition, fee, room and/or meal plan charges.

Additional information and written examples of return of funds calculations are available in the Financial Aid Office upon request.

Applying for State Aid

Hathaway Scholarship Program
Hathaway Scholarships, named after former Wyoming Governor Stan Hathaway, are designed to provide an incentive for Wyoming students to prepare for and pursue post-secondary education at Wyoming community colleges or the University of Wyoming. The program consists of four separate merit scholarships, each with specific eligibility requirements, and a need-based scholarship for eligible students which supplements the merit awards. Students must complete a FAFSA to be considered for the need-based award. Students must complete the EWC Hathaway Scholarship Application and submit final, official transcripts to the Financial Aid Office prior to the first day of class for their program to be eligible to initiate the Hathaway Scholarship for the term. For more information on the Hathaway Scholarship, see EWC’s website at https://ewc.wy.edu/hathaway-scholarships/ or visit hathawayscholarship.org.

Please note that the Hathaway Scholarship can only pay for college-level courses (course numbers of 1000 or higher); remedial or developmental classes cannot be counted in enrollment status for Hathaway purposes.

Kickstart Wyoming’s Tomorrow Scholarship Program

Kickstart Wyoming’s Tomorrow is a new state-funded scholarship program for adults enrolling at one of Wyoming’s eight community colleges, or the University of Wyoming, to pursue a degree or certificate. You can receive up to $1,800 per semester if enrolled in 12 credit hours or more, for up to four full-time academic terms.

The Wyoming’s Tomorrow Scholarship program and its initial endowment fund contribution of $10M was established by the 2022 Wyoming State Legislature. Currently, the scholarship program endowment fund is only partially funded so the 2023 Legislature set aside $1.25M to “kickstart” the scholarship program until its endowment fund reaches the required $50M and the scholarship is fully funded. By kickstarting the scholarship program, scholarship funds are available now, rather than later, to assist those that want to pursue their degree or certificate at a Wyoming college or university.

Applying for Institutional Aid

Students who wish to apply for institutional aid must meet all individual scholarship deadlines and requirements. Many institutional grants and scholarships have a priority deadline of March 15. Applications received after the deadline will be considered on a “first-come, first-served” basis. Students apply for the majority of EWC’s scholarships by logging in to their MyEWC account and completing the application available by clicking the Scholarship App button. All institutional scholarships also require a completed FAFSA for the corresponding academic year(s) prior to disbursement of funds. Other institutional, Foundation, and outside scholarships may require a separate application process or information, or have different deadlines. Go to https://ewc.wy.edu/admissions-financial-aid/scholarships-grants/ for details.

Institutional aid comes in many forms:


Activity Grants are available to high school graduates with special ability in men’s and women’s basketball, women’s volleyball, rodeo, men and women’s golf, Esports, livestock judging, and livestock showing.


Department Scholarships are available to students who meet the requirements as determined by the EWC Scholarship Committee. Current EWC students or transferring students must also meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policies for Financial Aid to be eligible for Department Scholarships. Students receiving Department Scholarships must be seeking a degree in one of the majors within the respective Department. Students can apply through the MyEWC student portal.​


Eastern Wyoming College provides a large number of scholarships for students. Students are encouraged to view the list of scholarships and requirements https://ewc.wy.edu/admissions-financial-aid/scholarships-grants/.

Note: A complete FAFSA application is required to be eligible for disbursement of these awards excluding some Foundation Scholarships.

The EWC online Scholarship Application through the MyEWC student portal is designed to allow students to quickly enter important data that helps determine eligibility for institutional or Foundation scholarships. Students may stop at any time during the application process and return to continue/check data and complete individual application requirements. Students can log on to their MyEWC account and click the Scholarship App button to provide general demographic information, and complete academic and qualification questions. Students should sign back into their accounts regularly to check for new scholarship opportunities that may require additional information. For a list of other scholarships available from EWC or opportunities for scholarships awarded and administered by outside organizations, please go online at https://ewc.wy.edu/admissions-financial-aid/scholarships-grants/. Students can request a list of Financial Aid and Scholarships from the Financial Aid Office.

Note: Since many scholarships are need-based, students are strongly encouraged to complete the FAFSA first; ALL institutional scholarships REQUIRE FAFSA completion.

Activity grants, Department Scholarships, and institutional awards specifically for tuition and/or fees are limited to 32 credits per academic year. Enrollment in more than 32 credits will not be included in tuition/fee scholarship amounts and tuition/fee charges must be paid through other resources.

Institutional scholarships and Activity Grants are determined by selected individuals, departments, and committees at Eastern Wyoming College. Students are notified only if awarded a scholarship or grant and are not sent “denial letters.” Scholarships must be accepted by deadlines given; some also require the student to send a thank you note to the donor and provide a copy of it to the EWC Financial Aid Office. Institutional scholarships are “last pay,” meaning that other grant and scholarship aid is considered first against a student’s estimated Cost of Attendance; EWC awards may need to be reduced in the case of total awards exceeding the student’s annual Cost of Attendance. 

Applying for Military Aid

Veterans Benefits

Eastern Wyoming College is approved for attendance by those who are eligible for educational benefits provided by the Veterans Administration. Veterans wishing to use their education benefits should contact the VA Certifying Official at 307.532.8224 for additional information.

To apply, students must complete the appropriate Application for VA Education Benefits. This form is available online at vets.gov. For benefits other than those listed above, contact the Veterans Administration at 1-888-442-4551 or online at benefits.va.gov/gibill/. Current rates are available at benefits.va.gov/gibill/ as well.

Veteran students and their dependents are also encouraged to apply for scholarships and federal financial aid.

Wyoming National Guard Educational Assistance Plan

Subject to available state funds, all current members of the Wyoming Army or Air National Guard may be eligible to have full in-state tuition and fees paid. Contact the VA Certifying Official in the Financial Aid Office for information.

Students MUST complete an application each semester in order to receive funds.

Wyoming Educational Assistance for Veterans and Survivors

The State of Wyoming passed legislation to assist veterans and dependents of deceased veterans with tuition and fees at any eligible Wyoming College. (Wyoming Statute 19-14-106). This program is designed to help Vietnam Veterans, Overseas Combat Veterans, and their surviving dependents with tuition and/or fee assistance. Information is available on the EWC website.

Awarding and Payment of Aid

Method of Awarding Need-Based Aid

The basic need formula is represented by the following calculation:

Cost of Attendance minus Student Aid Index (SAI) equals Financial Need

The goal of the EWC Financial Aid Office is to meet as much of the student’s need as possible with available funds for which the student qualifies.

Cost of Attendance (COA)

A student’s Cost of Attendance is an estimate of living and educational expenses for a period of enrollment. It includes allowances for:

  • Tuition and fees
  • Books and supplies
  • Housing
  • Meals
  • Transportation
  • Personal expenses

Please see EWC’s website at ewc.wy.edu for current costs of attendance. Federal and state regulations as well as institutional policy limit a student’s total aid to the annual Cost of Attendance; only in rare circumstances are awards over a student’s COA allowed.

Student Aid Index (SAI)

The Student Aid Index (SAI) is an eligibility index number that the financial aid office uses to determine how much federal student aid a student would receive while attending the school. This number results from the information provided by the student on their FAFSA form. This number is not a dollar amount of aid eligibility or what a student’s family is expected to provide. A negative SAI indicates the student has a higher financial need. Since the SAI is generated only on the FAFSA, this application is required for any need-based aid, including the Hathaway Need-Based Scholarship, all institutional and many Foundation scholarships.

Method of Payment of Aid

To ensure proper payment, all financial aid resources are reviewed either (1) after the second week of classes on “census day,” or (2) at the time of disbursement if aid is processed later in the semester. At the time of payment, financial aid will be based on the number of credit hours for which a student is actively enrolled, housing status, and residency classification. Awards are normally made in two disbursements, half in the Fall Semester, and half in the Spring Semester. Second disbursements of one-semester-only loans occur at mid-point in the semester.

Most initial awards are based on full-time attendance (12+ credits). Award amounts may be reduced or canceled for less than full-time enrollment. If a student’s attendance level drops below full time after an offer notification is generated, the financial aid office will adjust the award to the correct enrollment level. If a student drops courses during the 100 percent tuition refund period, financial aid awards may be adjusted. Other situations that could affect payment include: withdrawing before the end of the term; stopping attendance (unofficial withdrawal); not starting a class; dropping a late-starting class before the start date; cancellation of a late starting class before the start date.

PLEASE NOTE: Only classes that apply to a student’s Title IV-aid eligible degree or certificate can be funded by federal financial aid. Classes not listed as requirements on a student’s degree audit/program evaluation (or as an approved and required elective) will not be included in enrollment status for federal aid.

Awards (other than student employment earnings) are usually credited directly to the student’s EWC account balance. If anticipated awards exceed direct costs (tuition, fees, on-campus housing, and meal plans), or if a student has a book award or a credit balance, a student with a credit balance after other direct expenses are covered can use the credit to charge books at the EWC Bookstore. Signing the receipt for the books is the student authorization to use their aid balance. However, if a student changes enrollment and their credit balance changes, they could be responsible for covering those charges at the bookstore through their student account. Students are allowed to charge books at the EWC Bookstore until the end of late registration. If aid is processed by the end of the 100% tuition refund period and a student is due a refund, the refund will be available approximately one week after that period. Funds received after that date will be processed, posted, and disbursed weekly throughout each semester. Students who have signed up for direct deposit will receive their refund to their account on Fridays after disbursement.  Students who do not sign up for direct deposit will have their refund checks mailed weekly. The first refund date of each semester is listed in the online Academic Calendar.

Federal Work-Study/Institutional Employment paychecks are available to students the last day of each month worked.

Maintaining Financial Aid Eligibility

The Higher Education Act (HEA) of 1965, as amended, requires a student to make “satisfactory progress” in his/her course of study to be eligible for federal financial aid. In order to satisfy this requirement and prevent abuse of the intentions of the federal aid programs, students receiving any type of Title IV aid (Pell, IASG/CFHS, FSEOG, FWS, Direct Loan programs) must adhere to Satisfactory Academic Progress guidelines.

Students must enroll for six or more credit hours per semester to be eligible for Federal Direct Loans.

EWC Satisfactory Academic Progress Policies for Financial Aid

Federal Department of Education (ED) mandates the establishment and enforcement of a Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy for all institutions participating in federal Title IV aid programs. Federal Title IV aid programs include Pell Grant, SEOG, Direct Student/Parent Loans, and Work Study. The regulations require the measurement of cumulative GPA, rate of progression, and maximum time frame. A change of program does not reset the SAP calculation. EWC students are making SAP if they consistently:

  • Maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 2.00.
  • Complete 66.6% of attempted credits. *
  • Do not meet or exceed 150% of the average degree/certificate length at EWC. Defined as:
    • 53 credits (Certificate programs).
    • 98 for AA, AS, AAS seeking students (Associate degree programs).
    • 114 for Cosmetology degree seekers

*Attempted credits are any credits for which the student enrolled, whether or not the student received federal financial aid. Attempted credits include withdrawn, incomplete, failed, remedial, and repeated coursework. Transferred credits accepted by EWC are included in the cumulative credits attempted and completed. The table below illustrates how graded courses impact Financial Aid SAP.

GRADE Cumulative GPA Attempted Credit Completed Credit
A - F Yes Yes Yes
S, U No Yes Yes
X (incomplete)** No Yes No
Repeats Most Recent Grade Yes Yes
W No Yes No
Transferred and accepted by EWC No Yes Yes

**When completed OR the student receives an F grade due to failure to complete the coursework as required, the new grade is used to calculate SAP when calculated at the end of the Spring semester. The updated letter grade is treated per the table above when SAP is recalculated.


All students enrolled in TIV eligible coursework are monitored for financial aid satisfactory academic progress (SAP) at the end of each Spring semester. Students who reach or exceed the maximum time frame and/or have less than a 2.00 cumulative GPA and/or have less than a 66.667% completion rate are no longer eligible for federal Title IV financial aid and any state or institutional awards that requires SAP. These students receive a TRM (terminated due to not meeting the required GPA or completion rate) or MAX (reached or exceed maximum time frame) status. Students with Title IV aid are notified via email they are not eligible for federal financial aid. The email includes information about how to regain eligibility and the appeal process.

Transfer students with transfer credits that total the average credits needed to complete a degree or certificate (35 certificate, 65 degree, 76 Cosmetology) must submit an SAP Appeal when the year’s ISIR (Institutional Student Information Record) is received to complete the financial aid process. This is done to ensure that the student’s credits required for the degree/certificate can be completed within the max time frame. Students who cannot are placed on Probation with an Academic Plan for the estimated number of terms to complete the degree/certificate. 

Students with TRM or a probation status are monitored at the end of each academic term of enrollment to determine if they are now making SAP OR adhering to the terms of their probation. Students with a FAFSA on file are notified via email of their newly calculated SAP status. The student’s most recent SAP status is also viewable in Self Service Financial Aid.

Appeal Process

Students have the right to appeal their SAP status if they have mitigating or unusual circumstances, they believe prevented them from maintaining or achieving SAP. Mitigating circumstances include, but are not limited to: illness, death in the family, family emergency, catastrophic incidences, divorce, births, etc. The student may submit a letter of appeal (SAP Appeal Form) and relevant supporting third-party documentation to the Financial Aid Office for review. Appeals without appropriate third-party documentation (death certificate, hospital bill, etc.) will be denied.

Appeals may be submitted:

IN PERSON:   Financial Aid Office - EWC Student Services - Activities Center

BY MAIL:         ATTN: Financial Aid Office

                        3200 West C Street

                        Torrington, WY 82240

BY FAX:           307.532.8222

BY EMAIL:       financialaid@ewc.wy.edu

If the appeal is denied, the student may regain financial aid eligibility by meeting the SAP requirements in the student’s next semester of enrollment. The student will remain on TRM status for future terms until the SAP requirements are met. Students with a TRM status who are also exceeding the maximum time frame credit allowance cannot regain Title IV financial aid eligibility without an appeal.

If the appeal is approved and it is possible and probable for the student to meet the SAP requirements within one (1) semester of attendance, the student is placed on Probation with a PA1 (one allowed term of Probation) status. Students on Probation are Title IV aid eligible for one semester. At the end of the student’s next semester of enrollment, the student receives the calculated SAP status based on their cumulative GPA, pace, and time frame.

If the appeal is approved and it is not possible or probable that the student will be able to meet the SAP requirements within one (1) semester of attendance, the student is placed on Probation with an Academic Plan. Appeals approved with an academic plan require the student complete the enrolled term with 100% of courses enrolled for the term and a 2.00 term GPA or higher. The student receives a PA1-8 SAP status, with the number (1-8) representing the estimated number of terms required to complete the student’s current degree/certificate program.

MAX students with approved appeals have the SAP status calculated at the end of each term of enrollment. Students who continue to meet the terms of their probation (2.00 term GPA, 100% term completion) will continue on probation with a subtraction of the number of terms for the probation. For example, a student with a PA8 (8 allowed terms of Probation) who meet the terms of their probation at the end of their first semester of enrollment receive a PA7.

MAX students who fail to meet the probation requirements receive the calculated SAP status based on their cumulative GPA, pace, and time frame.

TRM status students with approved appeals to a probation status (PA8-PA1) whose cumulative GPA and pace do not calculate to SAP, but the student meets the terms of their probation, will continue on probation, with a one term reduction (for example, PA8 to PA7). If the student meets SAP when calculated at the end of the semester based on cumulative GPA, pace, and attempted credits, the student will calculate to satisfactory (SAT) instead of probation (PA7-PA1).

TRM status students with approved appeals to a probation status (PA8-PA1) who do not meet the probation requirements receive the calculated SAP status based on their cumulative GPA, pace, and attempted credits at the end of the semester of enrollment.

Students are notified of the outcome of their appeal via email and can view their SAP status in Self Service.


Financial Aid SAP and EWC SAP
Financial Aid Office SAP policy may differ from the academic SAP policy of EWC. While a student may be considered in ‘good standing’ with EWC, they may not be making Financial Aid SAP.


Federal Student Aid Manual, Volume 1 Student Eligibility, Chapter 1 School Determined Requirements, Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)


Additional Key Items

Federal Pell Grant Duration of Eligibility

Receipt of Federal Pell Grant has a lifetime limit of 12 full-time semesters or its equivalent.

Federal Direct Loan Limits

Federal Direct Loans have set annual and aggregate limits.

Students may not appeal Pell or loan annual or aggregate limits. View aggregate limits at StudentAid.gov.


Transfer Students

Students who transfer to EWC from other post-secondary institutions may be eligible for federal aid in accordance with established U.S. Department of Education and EWC guidelines. Hours transferred from any prior institution(s) are counted in both attempted and completed hours for Satisfactory Academic Progress and Maximum Timeframe calculations.

Prior student loan and Pell Grant accumulation may affect a student’s federal financial aid eligibility at EWC. A student’s Satisfactory Academic Progress status from other institutions attended may be reviewed to determine financial aid eligibility as well.

SPECIAL NOTE: If you are transferring to EWC between the Fall and Spring semesters, please be aware that financial aid does not “automatically” transfer from one school to another. The amount and type of aid offered may differ due to variations in the schools’ costs of attendance, funding available, and academic requirements. Annual and aggregate federal aid limits apply. Students must add EWC’s school code, 003929, to their FAFSA in order for EWC to evaluate their federal aid eligibility. Official transcripts from all previous institutions must be submitted to EWC to determine credits for Maximum Time Frame calculations. Contact the EWC Financial Aid Office for assistance with the transfer process.

Consortium Agreements

Students can take classes at two or more institutions and receive federal aid for all enrollment under an agreement called a consortium. The degree-granting school is the Home institution; the other college where the student is enrolled in a course or courses is the Host institution. Students may only receive federal aid from one institution during a period of enrollment. A Consortium Agreement must be completed each semester a student is enrolled at multiple institutions.

When EWC is the Home institution, the student must enroll in at least one EWC course and the Host course(s) must apply to the student’s EWC degree or certificate program.

Communication Policy

Financial Aid primarily communicates with students via their online MyEWC student account and email. Students will receive each year’s initial offer notification through email notification, and updated offer notifications will be available online in the MyEWC student portal under the Financial Aid section. Students can print a current offer notification, view their financial aid status, view a list of missing documentation (with active links to forms), review billing, and much more by logging onto their MyEWC account at ewc.wy.edu and then clicking the MyEWC Services button. Students can contact EWC’s Help Desk for any issues with their MyEWC user name or password at 307.534.2912, m3.

Students may contact the EWC Financial Aid Office at 307.532.8224 to request all information be sent through the mail. Please note: Students who request information only be mailed may experience slight delays in receiving information compared to their peers who access information via their online MyEWC student account.

Consumer Information

In compliance with the Higher Education Act (HEA) of 1965, as amended by the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA) of 2008, and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, as amended, Eastern Wyoming College must disclose the availability of institutional and financial aid information to enrolled students. For complete information, please see our Consumer Information page online at http://ewc.wy.edu/consumer-information/.